We seek experienced engineering managers to help set technical vision for our teams and manage Engineers, Senior Engineers, and Principal Engineers against that vision. Additionally, engineering managers will work as individual contributors to deliver key projects.
In the first year, engineering managers will meaningfully contribute to the team’s success by:
- Helping identify technical vision and goals that align with Bocoup’s values.
- Ensuring that projects deliver accessible software.
- Identifying avenues for including the people who are most impacted by our projects as co-authors and co-designers.
- Identifying areas of growth in how the team collaborates.
- Managing and mentoring engineers on both their technical and interpersonal professional development goals.
- Helping the team design and implement a framework for embedding justice principles in every aspect of our work.
Our small team size allows for individual mentorship, close collaboration, and opportunities to pursue stretch projects. We are committed to maintaining a safe and inclusive work environment, and expect all team members to uphold our company values and adhere to our Code of Conduct.
Bocoup is a mission and values driven web platform consulting firm. We partner with tech companies and nonprofits on a range of projects designed to improve the experience of users by increasing reliability and inclusion on the web. Our recent and current projects include engineering for Scratch (the beginner-friendly programming language), web standards for assistive technologies like screen-readers, and web development for free online teacher training tools.
Bocoup seeks a diverse pool of applicants for this position, including those from historically marginalized groups — womxn, people of color, people with disabilities, formerly incarcerated people, people who identify as LGBTQIA+, first and second generation immigrants, and people from low-income backgrounds.
Team Management & Leadership
- Collaborate on setting technical vision and goals for the team.
- Manage growth, performance, and professional development of individual contributors (Engineers, Senior Engineers, and Principal Engineers)
- Identify enticing new projects with customers and help create technical plans for those projects.
- Help manage project and team budgets.
- Support team execution of project tasks within expected timelines.
- Strategically navigate customer organizations.
- Serve as a public representative for the team.
- Contribute to client-facing and internal projects at Bocoup, strategically selected to leverage your skills and experience.
- Establish and meet project quality standards, and help ensure your teammates meet them.
- Build consensus on technology standards across diverse stakeholder groups.
- Architect software and ensure stable implementation.
- Contribute to defining industry best practices, and bringing them into Bocoup.
- Contribute expertise internally in areas of your experience, both on your and on other teams.
- Share your passion by creating educational content for our blog and other public channels.
- Advocate for the adoption of technology standards to internal and customer teams.
Skills & Expectations
The ideal candidate will have:
- Commitment to our mission and values, including Transparency, Quality, Service, Learning, – Inclusion, Respect, and Social Justice.
- 4-6+ years of management experience, including experience managing professional growth of – Senior and Principal-level Engineers.
- 7-9+ years of engineering experience working with designers, product managers, and product owners, including experience in a collaborative consulting capacity.
- Experience working in a professional services firm or a project-based organization.
- Ability to think broadly and strategically coupled with the desire to directly manage projects and tasks.
- Ability to commute to downtown Boston (not required).
This position will be managed and supported by the Head of Strategy & Operations. Performance will be measured based on annually set goals and impact on the Company’s mission.
Flexible PTO Employer sponsored health plans with deductible reimbursed through HRA MBTA Pass Program (for Boston staff) Professional Development Budget and support from leadership on setting and completing annual professional development goals
Bocoup Code of Conduct
Bocoup is dedicated to providing a safe and harassment-free working environment for everyone, regardless of gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, mental health, neurotype, age, physical appearance, body, race, ethnicity, nationality, language, religion or class. We do not tolerate harassment in any form and we are committed to partnering with you to foster a healthy work environment. Read the full Bocoup Code of Conduct at bocoup.com/code-of-conduct
Sorry, we are not currently hiring for this position!
We'd love to hear from you. Get in touch!
P.O. Box 961436
Boston, MA 02196