Technical Project Manager
As a Technical Project Manager, you will manage the execution of our technical projects, both internal and external, and help strengthen and maintain the operational infrastructure of our organization. You will meaningfully contribute to Bocoup’s success by acting as the single-threaded owner of your project(s), spanning across planning, execution and delivery. You will work with your project teams to define the project (scope, stakeholders, milestones, success criteria and communication channels), create and maintain project roadmaps, identify and coordinate the resolution of issues throughout the project lifecycle, communicate with customers and other third party stakeholders, and ensure timely, high-quality project delivery. You will apply your project management expertise to make the teams you work with function as successfully and effectively as they can.
We are looking for a diverse pool of applicants who are committed to justice and equity, including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people of color, people with disabilities, formerly incarcerated people, people who identify as LGBTQIA+, first and second generation immigrants, and people from low-income backgrounds.
Remote. U.S.-based preferred, for timezone alignment. We will consider other locations case-by-case. For reference, roughly half of our team is in US EST.
Reporting and Team Structure
This role reports to the Head of Strategy and Operations, and works with project teams of 2-6 engineers and designers. Our small team cares about individual mentorship, close collaboration, and opportunities to pursue stretch projects. We are committed to maintaining a safe and inclusive work environment, and expect all team members to uphold our company values and adhere to our Code of Conduct.
You’ll love this role if
- You’re looking for complex projects that challenge you as both a communicator and technical problem solver , and care about centering people and communities that have been systematically marginalized by tech. We do this in our projects, with partners, and within our own team. You must have a passion (no matter how new) for social, economic, disability and racial justice.
- You have a team mindset and a commitment to the success of others, and like collaborating on multiple diverse projects at the same time. You can expect to be working on 2-4 projects at a time, which typically span from 3-12 months.
- You like to move fluidly between the birds-eye view and the individual details: you can dive deep into technical issues as easily as you can understand and convey how a high-level plan meets the needs of a given project’s goals.
- You love helping your team and partners reach consensus, through defining project requirements definition, technical design and implementation discussions, and negotiating features (and their priority)—with a clear distinction between important and urgent.
- You value the expertise of and enjoy learning from people with a broad range of backgrounds and experiences, including product strategy, accessibility, activism, and community organizing.
- You enjoy communicating in both live and written ways (via text- and video-based channels), and know how to run effective meetings. You are comfortable with distributed, remote work that spans across 3-4 timezones. Despite these timezone differences, we ensure all team members maintain a locally-based schedule that works for them.
Day to Day Responsibilities
- Managing project team(s) to ensure the effective delivery of internal and external projects-including on time, on budget, fully tested, and with all project success criteria met.
- Determining and applying appropriate project management methodology and technical design tools
- Identifying project objectives and making project plans. Establishing milestones and driving sensible deadlines. Clearly articulating scope, timeline, owners, risks, and the steps to mitigate those risks at each stage.
- Ensuring each project has measures of success (e.g., How do you know the project is on track? How do you know it is effectively increasing access and inclusion on the web? How do you know the performance is acceptable? How do you know partners and users are satisfied?).
- Breaking down project scope into executable tasks and managing prioritization and execution. Maintaining and grooming backlogs throughout projects, making strategic trade-offs to address issues that arise.
- Identifying roadblocks and driving resolution, by either managing directly or ensuring a clear hand-off to the right owner.
- Transforming raw, unstructured information into clear technical documentation (e.g., functional requirements, technical specifications, design approach, etc.) and project requirements (e.g., roadmap, stakeholder and responsibility matrix).
- Owning internal testing and synthesis: installing and QAing custom software, evaluating that it fulfills the intention of the backlog
- Managing relationships and communicating with customers and stakeholders. Serving as the first point of contact for projects.
- Maintaining clear, effective channels of communication with your team, Bocoup leadership, and partners, including facilitating project kickoffs, recurring status updates, ad-hoc meetings to unblock issues, and retrospectives.
- Understanding and communicating customer’s product vision, in tandem with account manager and/or product manager, in internal and external discussions.
- Handling partner requests by looping in the right stakeholders and ensuring resolution.
- Running meetings that balance the discussion of technical details with high-level strategy and ongoing execution. Ensuring the right information about the state of a project is delivered to the right audience at the right time (e.g., status reports, metrics reports, etc.).
- Strengthening Bocoup’s operational infrastructure
- Coaching and mentoring teammates on project management methods, roles, and best practices
- Partnering with Head of Strategy & Operations on building, strengthening, and communicating organizational tools and processes
Skills & Expectations
The ideal candidate will have:
- Commitment to our mission and values, including Transparency, Quality, Service, Learning, Inclusion, Respect, and Social Justice. You developed this commitment through your own lived experience, education and/or activism.
- 5-7+ years of technical project management experience, including experience coordinating Senior and Principal Engineers, and external partners/client
- Experience working in a professional services firm or a project-based organization, on multiple projects at once
- Demonstrated experience applying technology solutions and relevant business context to problems in order to meet the goals of the stakeholders, the needs of the impacted community, and our organizational values.
- Ability to learn a new set of products, systems and processes related to a given project (i.e., components and features, functionality, key dependencies, and maintenance characteristics) to drive the team to success.
- Ability to think and communicate strategically and clearly across knowledge levels, timezones and formats, both internally and externally. Ability to design and lead concise, thoughtful meetings and asynchronous communications, and to decide which channel will be most effective based on the situation.
- Ability to coordinate and influence team members to ensure project delivery, and give feedback across levels.
- Change management skills to guide and communicate mid-project changes, and adjust plans and expectations as needed.
- QA testing and acceptance process management experience.
Compensation, Benefits and Culture
- The base salary range for this position is $100-$110K. This is determined based on experience and is negotiable within this band. In addition, we offer bonuses whenever sustainably possible, based on company financial performance, and also routinely adjust compensation based on cost of living needs.
- Flexible PTO, including vacation, personal and sick time. Company-wide closures on Federal holidays. Regular closures during the 2020/21 pandemic and uprising to prioritize team health.
- Competitive health plans (medical, dental, vision), and Bocoup covers deductible costs through HRA reimbursement.
- 401k and life insurance.
- Paid parental leave (12 weeks).
- Computer and equipment.
- Professional Development Budget and support from leadership on setting and completing annual professional development goals
- Quarterly All Hands meetings and paid team days of action in solidarity with social justice movements like Black Lives Matter.
- We reserve a portion of our profit to contribute to anti-racist organizations, with selection input from team members. (For reference, in 2020, we committed 50% of our profit to charity.)
Workload and Schedule Expectations
We maintain localized schedules that work for our team members. We consult for clients 80% of our time, and reserve the other 20% for maintenance and internal projects. We fund annual full time internal projects inline with our values, strategic goals, and team member interests and professional development goals.
Interview process for this role
- After you submit your application, it will be reviewed by the hiring manager and select members of the team.
- If it seems like we’re a good fit for each other, we will follow up and schedule a 30 minute phone call with one of our leaders to get to know you.
- If we jointly decide to move forward, you can plan to (virtually) attend a video interview with another Project Manager and our Head of Strategy & Operations with questions geared to understand how you approach project management.
- The final stage would be to meet (2-4) other members of the team via video conference for additional conversations about your approach to collaboration, your relevant experience to current projects, and alignment with our values. All in, you can expect the time commitment for this stage to be 3-4 hours of synchronous interaction, scheduled to fit your needs.
- If you complete interviews, we will provide a decision or clear next step within five business days.
- We are hiring multiple technical project managers, on a rolling basis. We are ready to hire as soon as we find the right candidate. We can’t wait to meet you!
Where can I learn more about working at Bocoup?
Check out our Careers page at https://bocoup.com/careers for FAQs and bit more about our culture and approach to work.
Sorry, we are not currently hiring for this position!
P.O. Box 961436
Boston, MA 02196