Senior EngineerApply Now
As a Senior Engineer at Bocoup, you’ll collaborate on internal and partner projects that advance our social justice mission and values. You’ll contribute technical product vision, write software, identify product improvements, and work directly with Bocoup’s customers (from business, product and engineering) to help them achieve their product goals.
We are looking for a diverse pool of applicants who are committed to justice and equity, including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people of color, people with disabilities, formerly incarcerated people, people who identify as LGBTQIA+, first and second generation immigrants, and people from low-income backgrounds.
You’ll love this role if
- You’re looking for opportunities that challenge you as an engineer, and care about centering people and communities that have been systematically marginalized by tech. We do this in our projects, with partners, and within our own team. You must have a passion (no matter how new) for social, economic, disability and racial justice.
- You have a team mindset and a commitment to the success of others.
- You enjoy collaborating with your teammates on diverse projects. You can expect to be working on 1-3 projects at a time, which typically span from 3-12 months.
- You value the expertise of and enjoy learning from people with a broad range of backgrounds and experiences beyond engineering, including product strategy, accessibility, activism, and community organizing.
- You are comfortable working with a distributed team, remote customers, and communicating with both via text- and video-based channels—across 3-4 timezones. Despite these timezone differences, we ensure all team members maintain a locally-based schedule that works for them.
- You appreciate the importance of excellent documentation, and know how to produce it in a collaborative way, applying your strong written and oral communication skills.
- You enjoy either talking or writing about the work you and your team are doing for public and partner-facing communications.
Remote. U.S.-based preferred, for timezone alignment. We will consider other locations case-by-case. For reference, roughly half of our team is in US EST.
Reporting and Team Structure
This role reports to the Engineering Manager, and works with project teams of 2-6 engineers, designers and project managers. Our small team cares about individual mentorship, close collaboration, and opportunities to pursue stretch projects. We are committed to maintaining a safe and inclusive work environment, and expect all team members to uphold our company values and adhere to our Code of Conduct.
Day to Day Responsibilities
- Work with our partners to solve problems and help them succeed.
- Deliver projects focused on improving web platform interoperability with browser implementers, or web application development with values aligned organizations, depending on experience and interest.
- Share your passion through creating educational content for our blog, workshops, and other educational resources and forums.
- Share your work at Bocoup through attending and contributing to community events, and representing the team at conferences abroad.
- Mentor developers and guide their adoption of new technologies.
- Contribute to internal projects, and work on tools and products for your peers at Bocoup.
- Advocate for Bocoup’s code of conduct and values, including social justice.
Skills & Expectations
The ideal candidate will have:
- Commitment to our mission and values, including Transparency, Quality, Service, Learning, Inclusion, Respect, and Social Justice. You developed this commitment through your own lived experience, education and/or activism.
- 4-6+ years of engineering experience, including experience in a collaborative consulting capacity at a project-based organization.
- Solid understanding of:
- Web application architecture and security, web accessibility, web performance, and the privacy model of the web.
- Building web applications with Node and at least one front end framework such as React, Ember, Angular, or Vue. Experience with, or willingness to learn, TypeScript.
- Experience with relational databases and writing secure, performant queries.
- Experience centering users through research, co-design, or testing.
- Ability to think broadly and strategically coupled with the desire to directly manage projects and tasks.
- Strong risk assessment and time estimation skills.
- Nice to have: Experience with GraphQL and non-relational databases
- Nice to have: Experience developing web standards, and building consensus between stakeholders.
Compensation, Benefits and Culture
- The base salary range for this position is $130-140K. This is determined based on experience and is negotiable within this band. In addition, we offer bonuses whenever sustainably possible, based on company financial performance, and also routinely adjust compensation based on cost of living needs.
- Flexible PTO, including vacation, personal and sick time. Company-wide closures on Federal holidays. Regular closures during the 2020/21 pandemic and uprising to prioritize team health.
- Competitive health plans (medical, dental, vision), and Bocoup covers deductible costs through HRA reimbursement.
- 401k and life insurance.
- Paid parental leave (12 weeks).
- Computer and equipment.
- Professional Development Budget and support from leadership on setting and completing annual professional development goals
- Quarterly All Hands meetings and paid team days of action in solidarity with social justice movements like Black Lives Matter.
- We reserve a portion of our profit to contribute to anti-racist organizations, with selection input from team members. (For reference, in 2020, we committed 50% of our profit to charity.)
Workload and Schedule Expectations
We maintain localized schedules that work for our team members. We consult for clients 80% of our time, and reserve the other 20% for maintenance and internal projects. We fund annual full time internal projects inline with our values, strategic goals, and team member interests and professional development goals.
Bocoup Code of Conduct
Bocoup is dedicated to providing a safe and harassment-free working environment for everyone, regardless of gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, mental health, neurotype, age, physical appearance, body, race, ethnicity, nationality, language, religion or class. We do not tolerate harassment in any form and we are committed to partnering with you to foster a healthy work environment. Read the full Bocoup Code of Conduct at bocoup.com/code-of-conduct
Interview process for this role
- After you submit your application, it will be reviewed by the hiring manager and select members of the team.
- If it seems like we’re a good fit for each other, we will follow up and schedule a 30 minute phone call with one of our leaders to get to know you.
- If we jointly decide to move forward, you can plan to (virtually) attend a technical interview with the Engineering Manager with questions geared to understand how you solve problems, and then meet (2-4) other members of the team for additional conversations about your approach to collaboration, your relevant experience to current projects, and alignment with our values. All in, you can expect the time commitment for this stage to be 3-4 hours of synchronous interaction, scheduled to fit your needs. We aim to accommodate different communication styles in our interview process, and don’t use tools like “live whiteboarding” for interviews.
- If you complete interviews, we will provide a decision or clear next step within five business days.
- We are hiring multiple senior engineers, on a rolling basis. We are ready to hire as soon as we find the right candidate.
We can’t wait to meet you!
Where can I learn more about working at Bocoup?
Check out our Careers page at bocoup.com/careers for FAQs and bit more about our culture and approach to work.
What are you waiting for? Come be a Bocouper!
P.O. Box 961436
Boston, MA 02196