As a Senior Open Web Engineer at Bocoup, you’ll deliver projects that advance our shared mission and values. You’ll deliver technical product vision guidance, provide software engineering consulting, identify product improvement opportunities, and work directly with customers to help them achieve their product goals.
You’ll love this role if:
- You enjoy collaborating with your teammates on diverse projects.
- You are curious, and enjoy learning from people with a broad range of backgrounds and experiences.
- You are comfortable working with a distributed team and communicating via text- and video-based channels
- You understand the importance of excellent documentation, have strong written and oral communication skills, and experience being part of an effective team.
- You love to talk or write about the work you and your team are doing.
- You have a team mindset, a commitment to the success of others, and a commitment to creating a more accessible and inclusive web.
Our small team size allows for individual mentorship, close collaboration, and opportunities to pursue stretch projects. We are committed to maintaining a safe and inclusive work environment, and expect all team members to uphold our company values and adhere to our Code of Conduct.
Bocoup is a mission and values driven web platform consulting firm. We partner with tech companies and nonprofits on a range of projects designed to improve the experience of users by increasing reliability and inclusion on the web. Our recent and current projects include engineering for Scratch (the beginner-friendly programming language), web standards for assistive technologies like screen-readers, and web development for free online teacher training tools.
Bocoup seeks a diverse pool of applicants for this position, including those from historically marginalized groups — womxn, people of color, people with disabilities, formerly incarcerated people, people who identify as LGBTQIA+, first and second generation immigrants, and people from low-income backgrounds.
- Partner with our customers to solve problems and help them succeed.
- Deliver projects for our Reliability, Standards, and Testing (RST) AND/OR our Graphics & – Interactive Applications (GAIA) service areas, based on your interests and experience.
- RST focuses on projects with browser implementers and embedders to improve web platform interoperability.
- GAIA focuses on media-based web applications, implementing resource intensive web platform features and improving accessibility, security and performance on resource constrained devices.
- Share your passion through creating educational content for our blog, workshops, and other educational resources and forums.
- Share your work at Bocoup through attending and contributing to community events, and representing the team at conferences abroad.
- Mentor developers and guide their adoption of new technologies.
- Contribute to Open Source projects, and work on internal tools and products for your peers at Bocoup.
- Advocate for Bocoup’s code of conduct and values, including social justice, within the open source projects and other professional communities.
Skills & Expectations
- The ideal candidate will have:
- Commitment to our mission and values, including Transparency, Quality, Service, Learning, – Inclusion, Respect, and Social Justice.
- 4-6+ years of engineering experience, including experience in a collaborative consulting capacity.
- Experience working in a professional services firm or a project-based organization.
- Ability to think broadly and strategically coupled with the desire to directly manage projects and tasks.
- Strong risk assessment and time estimation skills.
- Ability to commute to downtown Boston (not required).
- Flexible PTO
- Employer sponsored health plans with deductible reimbursed through HRA
- MBTA Pass Program (for Boston staff)
- Professional Development Budget and support from leadership on setting and completing annual professional development goals
Bocoup Code of Conduct
Bocoup is dedicated to providing a safe and harassment-free working environment for everyone, regardless of gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, mental health, neurotype, age, physical appearance, body, race, ethnicity, nationality, language, religion or class. We do not tolerate harassment in any form and we are committed to partnering with you to foster a healthy work environment. Read the full Bocoup Code of Conduct at bocoup.com/code-of-conduct
Sorry, we are not currently hiring for this position!
We'd love to hear from you. Get in touch!
P.O. Box 961436
Boston, MA 02196