Product ManagerApply Now
As a Product Manager at Bocoup, you’ll work with Technical Project Managers, Engineers, Designers, Bocoup leadership, and Director- and Executive-level client contacts. You’ll co-develop and drive a strategic vision for the web, centered in justice and inclusion, based on Bocoup’s mission and values, and on the lived expertise of people most impacted by the web. You will use co-design, research, and coalition building to support the strategic delivery of individual projects in service of this vision. You’ll provide product guidance for the web applications, online communities, and web browsers we work with. You’ll inform technical architecture, identify and recommend product and platform improvements, and serve as a strategic advisor to a range of stakeholders within and across projects.
We are looking for a diverse pool of applicants who are committed to justice and equity, including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people of color, people with disabilities, formerly incarcerated people, people who identify as LGBTQIA+, first and second generation immigrants, and people from low-income backgrounds.
You’ll love this role if
- You are excited about developing and driving an inclusive, accessible and justice-oriented product vision for the web platform across multiple stakeholders (eg partner companies, activist organizations, community groups, and standards bodies).
- You enjoy the complexity of working across a broad technology ecosystem.
- You care about inclusion in tech, assistive technology, and centering the priorities of marginalized communities in designing the future of the web platform.
- You value long-term strategic platform development and maintenance over short-term or “rapid” innovation.
- You are curious. You value the expertise of and enjoy learning from people with a broad range of backgrounds and experiences beyond engineering, including product strategy, accessibility, activism, and community organizing.
- You are comfortable working with a distributed team, remote customers, and communicating with both via text- and video-based channels—across 3-4 timezones. Despite these timezone differences, we ensure all team members maintain a locally-based schedule that works for them.
- You love to write, and know how to produce excellent documentation, product narratives, and partner communications in a collaborative way.
- You enjoy either talking or writing about the work you and your team are doing for public and partner-facing communications.
- You have a team mindset, value mentorship, and are committed to the success of others.
Remote. U.S.-based preferred, for timezone alignment. We will consider other locations case-by-case. For reference, roughly half of our team is in US EST.
Reporting and Team Structure
This role reports to the Head of Strategy & Operations, and works with project teams of 2-6 engineers, designers and project managers. Our small team cares about individual mentorship, close collaboration, and opportunities to pursue stretch projects. We are committed to maintaining a safe and inclusive work environment, and expect all team members to uphold our company values and adhere to our Code of Conduct.
Day to Day Responsibilities
- Lead strategy across 4 to 6 rotating projects, depending on size and capacity, aligning those projects’ roadmaps with customer strategy, web platform process, and Bocoup mission and values.
- Build coalitions to find common ground between competing companies who share technology.
- Conduct research, synthesize input, and document product requirements.
- Keep up with trends and guide Bocoup’s ability to influence in areas such as assistive technology, no code programming, and web platform standards.
- Attend and participate in web standards groups related to customer and Bocoup projects.
- Share your passion through creating educational content for our blog, workshops, and other educational resources and forums.
- Share your work at Bocoup through attending and contributing to community events, and representing the team at conferences abroad.
- Contribute to internal projects, and work on tools and products for your peers at Bocoup.
- Mentor team members and share your knowledge of strategic product development, industry trends and insights, and other domain expertise.
- Advocate for and embody Bocoup’s code of conduct and values
Skills & Expectations
The ideal candidate will have:
- Commitment to our mission and values, including Transparency, Quality, Service, Learning, Inclusion, Respect, and Social Justice. You developed this commitment through your own lived experience, education and/or activism.
- Experience centering the user through inclusive design or co-design, and an interest in implementing design justice principles in your work.
- 4-6+ years of product experience, including experience in a tech company.
- Experience successfully building coalitions and driving consensus, product development and strategic vision execution across large, competing organizations.
- Ability to simultaneously operate at a broad and strategic level, while also driving progress on specific, individual tasks with project managers and implementers.
- Strong risk assessment, pattern recognition, strategic sequencing, empathetic and persuasive communication, scope management, process development, stakeholder mapping & communication.
- Technical background or understanding of web platform technologies.
- Nice to have: Experience with web standards, and web browser engineering organizations.
- Nice to have: Understandings of the architecture of the web platform, web application architecture, and/or web security, accessibility, and privacy.
Compensation, Benefits and Culture
- The base salary range for this position is $130K-$140K. This is determined based on experience and is negotiable within this band. In addition, we offer bonuses whenever sustainably possible, based on company financial performance, and also routinely adjust compensation based on cost of living needs.
- Flexible PTO, including vacation, personal and sick time. Company-wide closures on Federal holidays. Regular closures during the 2020/21 pandemic and uprising to prioritize team health.
- Competitive health plans (medical, dental, vision), and Bocoup covers deductible costs through HRA reimbursement.
- 401k and life insurance.
- Paid parental leave (12 weeks).
- Computer and equipment.
- Professional Development Budget and support from leadership on setting and completing annual professional development goals
- Quarterly All Hands meetings and paid team days of action in solidarity with social justice movements like Black Lives Matter.
- We reserve a portion of our profit to contribute to anti-racist organizations, with selection input from team members. (For reference, in 2020, we committed 50% of our profit to charity.)
Workload and Schedule Expectations
We maintain localized schedules that work for our team members. We consult for clients 80% of our time, and reserve the other 20% for maintenance and internal projects. We fund annual full time internal projects inline with our values, strategic goals, and team member interests and professional development goals.
Interview process for this role
- After you submit your application, it will be reviewed by the hiring manager and select members of the team.
- If it seems like we’re a good fit for each other, we will follow up and schedule a 30 minute phone call with one of our leaders to get to know you.
- If we jointly decide to move forward, you can plan to (virtually) attend a video interview with another team member and our Head of Strategy & Operations with questions geared to understand how you approach project management.
- The final stage would be to meet (2-4) other members of the team via video conference for additional conversations about your approach to collaboration, your relevant experience to current projects, and alignment with our values. All in, you can expect the time commitment for this stage to be 3-4 hours of synchronous interaction, scheduled to fit your needs.
- If you complete interviews, we will provide a decision or clear next step within five business days.
- We are hiring on a rolling basis. We are ready to hire as soon as we find the right candidate. We can’t wait to meet you!
Where can I learn more about working at Bocoup?
Check out our Careers page at https://bocoup.com/careers for FAQs and bit more about our culture and approach to work.
What are you waiting for? Come be a Bocouper!
P.O. Box 961436
Boston, MA 02196