Operations ManagerApply Now
As Operations Manager, you will play a critical role in strengthening and maintaining the operational infrastructure and day-to-day functioning of our organization. You will meaningfully contribute to Bocoup’s success by researching and implementing improvements to our existing processes, tools, and policies. Working closely with the Head of Strategy and Operations, you will ensure that our operations align with our organizational strategy and values.
We are looking for a diverse pool of applicants who are committed to justice and equity, including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people of color, people with disabilities, formerly incarcerated people, people who identify as LGBTQIA+, first and second generation immigrants, and people from low-income backgrounds.
Remote. U.S.-based preferred, for timezone alignment. We will consider other locations case-by-case. For reference, roughly half of our team is in US EST.
Reporting and Team Structure
This role reports to the Head of Strategy and Operations, and works closely with our Project and Infrastructure Managers. Our small team cares about individual mentorship, close collaboration, and opportunities to pursue stretch projects. We are committed to maintaining a safe and inclusive work environment, and expect all team members to uphold our company values and adhere to our Code of Conduct.
You’ll love this role if
- You care about centering people and communities that have been systematically marginalized by tech. We do this in our projects, with partners, and within our own team. You must have a passion (no matter how new) for social, economic, disability and racial justice.
- You enjoy researching and recommending tactical and operational solutions to address organizational needs.
- You have a team mindset and a commitment to the success of others, and like collaborating on multiple diverse tasks and projects at the same time.
- You love helping your team reach consensus, and enjoy collecting input on improvements to organizational practices.
- You value the expertise of and enjoy learning from people with a broad range of backgrounds and experiences, including product strategy, accessibility, activism, and community organizing.
- You enjoy communicating in both live and written ways (via text- and video-based channels), and know how to run effective meetings.
- You are comfortable with distributed, remote work that spans across 3-4 timezones. Despite these timezone differences, we ensure all team members maintain a locally-based schedule that works for them.
Day to Day Responsibilities
- Partner with Head of Strategy & Operations on building, strengthening, and communicating organizational tools and processes
- Research options, make recommendations for adoption, and onboard our team to different tools, systems, policies, and processes
- Facilitate weekly operations meetings to ensure ongoing improvements to operational infrastructure
- Maintain, collect input on, and familiarize the team with existing tools and processes
- Assist with the day-to-day operations of the business, including its administrative needs
- Answer and triage incoming calls and emails
- Support the Head of Strategy & Operations with managing the team schedule
- Assist with record keeping, light bookkeeping, inventory and supply management, and other duties, as needed
- Support the Principal and Head of Strategy and Operations on special projects, as needed
Skills & Expectations
The ideal candidate will have:
- Commitment to our mission and values, including Transparency, Quality, Service, Learning, Inclusion, Respect, and Social Justice. You developed this commitment through your own lived experience, education and/or activism.
- 5-7+ years of experience in organizational operations, including experience improving, managing, and maintaining tools, systems and processes.
- Experience working in a professional services firm or a project-based organization, on multiple projects at once.
- Ability to learn and onboard others to new products, systems and processes.
- Ability to create, implement, and manage feedback- and input-gathering opportunities.
- Change management skills, including the ability to guide and communicate process changes, and adjust plans and expectations as needed.
- Experience managing administrative tasks, including phone and email triaging, schedule management, and bookkeeping.
- Basic understanding of organizational finances.
- Ability to communicate strategically and clearly across knowledge levels, time zones, and formats.
- Ability to design and lead concise, thoughtful meetings and asynchronous communications, and to decide which channel will be most effective based on the situation.
Compensation, Benefits and Culture
- The base salary range for this position is $100-$110K. This is determined based on experience and is negotiable within this band. In addition, we offer bonuses whenever sustainably possible, based on company financial performance, and also routinely adjust compensation based on cost of living needs.
- Flexible PTO, including vacation, personal and sick time. Company-wide closures on Federal holidays. Additional closures during the 2020/21 pandemic and uprising to prioritize team health.
- Competitive health plans (medical, dental, vision), and Bocoup covers deductible costs through HRA reimbursement.
- 401k (including a contribution match of up to 4%) and life insurance.
- Paid parental leave (12 weeks).
- Computer and equipment.
- Professional Development Budget and support from leadership on setting and completing annual professional development goals
- Quarterly All Hands meetings and paid team days of action in solidarity with social justice movements like Black Lives Matter.
- We reserve a portion of our profit to contribute to anti-racist organizations, with selection input from team members. (For reference, in 2020, we committed 50% of our profit to charity.)
Workload and Schedule Expectations
We maintain localized schedules that work for our team members. We consult for clients 80% of our time, and reserve the other 20% for maintenance and internal projects. We fund annual full time internal projects inline with our values, strategic goals, and team member interests and professional development goals.
Interview process for this role
- After you submit your application, it will be reviewed by the hiring manager and select members of the team.
- If it seems like we’re a good fit for each other, we will follow up and schedule a 30 minute phone call with one of our leaders to get to know you.
- If we jointly decide to move forward, you can plan to (virtually) attend a video interview with a team member and our Head of Strategy & Operations with questions geared to understand how you approach operations management.
- The final stage would be to meet (2-4) other members of the team via video conference for additional conversations about your approach to collaboration and alignment with our values. All in, you can expect the time commitment for this stage to be 3-4 hours of synchronous interaction, scheduled to fit your needs.
- If you complete interviews, we will provide a decision or clear next step within five business days.
- We are hiring on a rolling basis. We are ready to hire as soon as we find the right candidate. We can’t wait to meet you!
Where can I learn more about working at Bocoup?
Check out our Careers page at https://bocoup.com/careers for FAQs and more about our culture and approach to work.
What are you waiting for? Come be a Bocouper!
P.O. Box 961436
Boston, MA 02196