Accessibility Tester (part-time)Apply Now
As an Accessibility Tester at Bocoup, you’ll help ensure that we meet our commitment to accessibility by testing our work on different screen readers, mobile devices, and browsers. You’ll work with Technical Project Managers, Product Managers, Engineers, and Designers to evaluate the implementation of our projects. You will support the successful delivery of internal and sponsored projects, and provide feedback on web standards, web applications, and web browsers, while advocating for accessibility.
This is the first accessibility testing position at Bocoup, and means you will help the organization shape QA testing, accessibility policies and design workflows. Bocoup is in the process of auditing and improving the accessibility of our internal systems, and this person will play a crucial part in evaluating and giving feedback on our tools and workflows as they are improved by the operations, design, and engineering teams.
Testing and evaluation are critical aspects of our work at Bocoup, and we value QA and accessibility expertise. Depending on project schedules and the interests of the person we hire, this role could evolve into full-time, with the possibility of taking on project management, design, and/or facilitation responsibilities. Paths for growth in a full-time role would include attending and participating in web standards groups related to customer and Bocoup projects, and giving input on interface designs as an accessibility expert. There will also be opportunities for on the job training in Technical Project Management, Product Management, Design, or Engineering.
We encourage a wide range of experience levels to apply for this role. We can mentor early career applicants and also have room for leadership from very experienced candidates.
We are looking for a diverse pool of applicants who are committed to justice and equity, including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people of color, people with disabilities, formerly incarcerated people, people who identify as LGBTQIA+, first and second generation immigrants, and people from low-income backgrounds.
You’ll love this role if
- You are curious and like finding problems in tools and products and helping a team fix them.
- You are excited about supporting an inclusive, accessible and justice-oriented vision for the web platform.
- You love to write, and know how to produce excellent bug reports and reduced test cases.
- You’re interested in growing into a product design or management role and participating in user persona definition, research and testing process design.
- You are comfortable working with a distributed team, remote customers, and communicating with both via text- and video-based channels—across 3-4 timezones. Despite these timezone differences, we ensure all team members maintain a locally-based schedule that works for them.
- You have a team mindset, value mentorship, and are committed to the success of others.
Remote. U.S.-based preferred, for timezone alignment. We will consider other locations case-by-case. For reference, roughly half of our team is in US EST.
Reporting and Team Structure
This role reports to the Engineering Manager, and works with project teams of 2-6 engineers, designers and project managers. Our small team cares about individual mentorship, close collaboration, and opportunities to pursue stretch projects. We are committed to maintaining a safe and inclusive work environment, and expect all team members to uphold our company values and adhere to our Code of Conduct.
Day to Day Responsibilities
- Provide ongoing accessibility and QA testing and feedback to 4 to 6 rotating internal and sponsor projects, depending on size and capacity.
- Evaluate project designs and report issues before they are implemented.
- Keep up with trends and give input on Bocoup’s accessibility and inclusive product development policies.
- Advocate for and embody Bocoup’s code of conduct and values.
- Share your knowledge of accessible standards with team members.
Skills & Expectations
The ideal candidate will have:
- Commitment to our mission and values, including Transparency, Quality, Service, Learning, Inclusion, Respect, and Social Justice. You developed this commitment through your own lived experience, education and/or activism.
- Lived experience using a screen reader for day to day tasks at work.
- Nice to have: 1-2+ years of product testing experience, including experience in a tech company.
- Nice to have: Developing technical background or understanding of web technologies.
- Nice to have: Experience with web standards, and web browser engineering organizations.
- Nice to have: Understandings of the architecture of the web platform, web application architecture, and/or web security, accessibility, and privacy.
This is a part-time hourly role. Initial need is for 20 hours per week. The base pay is $1100-1500 per week ($55-75/hr). This is determined based on experience and is negotiable within this band.
Workload and Schedule Expectations
We maintain localized schedules that work for our team members. We structure our work to accommodate healthy workloads.
Interview process for this role
- After you submit your application, it will be reviewed by the hiring manager and select members of the team.
- If it seems like we’re a good fit for each other, we will follow up and schedule a 30 minute phone call with one of our leaders to get to know you.
- If we jointly decide to move forward, you can plan to (virtually) attend a video interview with another team member with questions geared to understand how you approach project management.
- The final stage would be to meet (2-4) other members of the team via video conference for additional conversations about your approach to collaboration, your relevant experience to current projects, and alignment with our values. All in, you can expect the time commitment for this stage to be 3-4 hours of synchronous interaction, scheduled to fit your needs.
- If you complete interviews, we will provide a decision or clear next step within five business days. We are hiring on a rolling basis. We are ready to hire as soon as we find the right candidate. We can’t wait to meet you!
Where can I learn more about working at Bocoup?
Check out our Careers page at https://bocoup.com/careers for FAQs and bit more about our culture and approach to work.
What are you waiting for? Come be a Bocouper!
P.O. Box 961436
Boston, MA 02196